Oversized T-shirts: The unofficial uniform of female Alabama students

Oversized T-shirts have become an unspoken right of passage for female students at the University of Alabama. 

By Anna Fogg
News Producer

Walking around the University of Alabama visitors can see Denny Chimes, Bryant-Denny stadium, and girls walking around in oversized T-shirts. Part of an unspoken school uniform, T-shirts two sizes too big along with leggings or Nike shorts consume the campus.

Rachel Herrington, a senior at the University of Alabama, wears whatever makes her comfortable when she goes to class.

“If I feel like dressing up then I will, but if I feel like wearing a T-shirt then that’s what I’ll do,” Herrington said. “I wouldn’t wear something uncomfortable.”

When Herrington dresses up for class she receives more compliments than she does when she wears a T-shirt.

“I’m trying to be a grown up and dress cute sometimes,” Herrington said. “I don’t do it for compliments or looks.”

Nick Key, a senior at the University of Alabama, was surprised when he first came to school because he was use to the girls at his high school dressing up for class.

“I got quickly adjusted to it,” Key said. “I personally am one that takes pride in what I wear, so I try to carry myself in a business-like manner everyday.”

Although Key enjoys it when he sees a girl who dresses up for class and would prefer that they dress up everyday, he believes that the T-shirts are popular because of comfort.

“I absolutely love it when a woman takes pride in how she carries herself and her appearance,” Key said. “You don’t usually see too many Southern women that dress up each and every day.”

David Solon, a senior at the University of Alabama, would rather see girls dressed up but ultimately doesn’t care what they ending up choosing as long as they’re comfortable.

“If they want to look nice then good for them, but it’s a personal choice,” Solon said. “I think you notice girls a little more if they’re dress up.”

Matthew McDavid, a sophomore at the University of Alabama, wasn’t surprised by the unwritten dress code when he first stepped foot on campus because the girls at his high school wore big T-shirts as well.

“I would say it’s become a social norm among girls,” McDavid said. “That’s why high school girls do it, because college girls do it.”

Although all of these students agreed that dressing up looks nicer, the oversized T-shirts seem to be here to stay. Much like winning national championships these T-shirts have become expected and an identification marker for the female students at the University of Alabama.

Students at the University of Alabama display their oversized T-shirts by Denny Chimes. Photo by Kassidy Abernathy