The Ugly Side of Valentine’s Day

Valentine’s Day doesn’t always go as planned. 

By Anna Fogg
News Producer

When February rolls around, pink and red hearts begin to fill the shelves of almost every store. Valentine’s Day, named after Saint Valentine, is commonly known as a couple’s holiday where cards, chocolates, and giant teddy bears are exchanged. However, happy endings aren’t always in store for everyone when February 14 arrives.

Kirsten Adyt, a sophomore at the University of Alabama, is looking forward to spending time with her boyfriend this Valentine’s Day. But she remembers a time when the day wasn’t so special.

“Whenever I was in high, school I always had a boyfriend on Valentine’s Day except for this one time,” Adyt said. “I had just broken up with a boyfriend and one of the kids that was a grade above me somehow got my locker combination and put this really creepy bear in my locker. I didn’t know who it was from and it was really creepy.”

After finding out who the boy was that put the bear in her locker, Adyt told him that she wasn’t looking to be in a relationship because she had just ended one.

“He said, ‘Oh OK’ and then he took the bear and went home,” Adyt said. “He didn’t really talk to me after that.”

Although the experience didn’t ruin her Valentine’s Day completely, Adyt will always remember opening up her locker to find a small stuffed bear holding a heart.

Price Dickerson, a junior at the University of Alabama, found himself in an uncomfortable situation one Valentine’s Day when he was in high school.

“Sophomore year of high school I was dating a girl and I had to drive 45 minutes to go see her and so I drove all the way up there on Valentine’s Day and we were going to get dinner at a restaurant of her choice,” Dickerson said. “Her mom was like, ‘It’s a great restaurant, but just be aware of the specials,’ and I didn’t think anything of it.”

The service was somewhat slow because of the holiday and the time passed quickly with conversation. Suddenly, Dickerson was delivered the check.

“It was almost $200 and I brought $60 thinking that I was paying for the both of us,” Dickerson said. “So at that point we panicked and we kept on kind of blowing off the waitress.”

Dickerson waited for his date’s father to show up and save the day, but he didn’t realize how much the bill was until he got there.

“He sat there grumbling writing out a check,” Dickerson said. “We broke up a week later.”

Dickerson isn’t sure whether his breakup had anything to do with their Valentine’s date, but since that day he researches restaurants before going to them and makes sure to bring a little extra cash.

Rachel Clark, a senior at the University of Alabama, had planned a fun night with her boyfriend, but little did she know they would never go out on that Valentine’s Day.

“My boyfriend of two years broke up with me the day before Valentine’s Day,” Clark said. “So I threw his Valentine’s Day stuff at his face.”

Clark has never enjoyed Valentine’s Day, and this experience didn’t help to change her mind. She would rather spend her time hanging out with her friends and celebrating ‘Galentine’s Day’ than the romantic holiday. The time spend with girl friends it seems, can be more of a safe bet.

“I don’t like it because you shouldn’t have to wait around for one day of the year to show the person that you’re with that you love them,” Clark said. “You should celebrate it every day if you truly love them.”

Couple holding hands on the University of Alabama campus. Photo by Anna Fogg.