Top 5 Action Films of 2017
Dateline Alabama’s Jared Ferguson reviews the top 5 action films of 2017.
By Jared Ferguson
2017 has had numerous films released, spanning numerous genres, but this article will focus exclusively on the most memorable action films released thus far.
5. “Guardians of the Galaxy vol. 2”- In 2014, Marvel’s most surprising success, “Guardians of the Galaxy,” was released in theaters. The film was a hit for its exciting action, memorable characters and hysterical humor. Fans of the first film will be pleased to find that its sequel retains these qualities while still having its own distinct and interesting identity. “Guardians of the Galaxy vol. 2” is a film that will make the audience cry just as much as they will laugh, which is critical for a comic book film of this caliber.
4. “Logan”- Over the course of 17 years, the Australian actor Hugh Jackman has succeeded in carrying the success of the “X-Men” film franchise with his memorable portrayal of the character Wolverine. However, no success lasts forever, and “Logan” is an unforgettable swan song to such a beloved era. This film is an interesting departure from the more light-hearted, wider audience portrayal of the character in that, unlike the “X-Men” films, the film further expands on the tragic, harsh background of the character that sets him apart from the other X-Men. If one is interested in viewing a film with emotional weight and intense action, this film will satisfy in that respect.
3. “Spider-Man: Homecoming”- The fabled wall-crawler is no stranger to the silver screen, with two previous film franchises in the past 15 years with two entirely different casts and approaches. This year, Marvel Studios decided to release its own interpretation of one of their most popular characters to hopefully incorporate into their beloved cinematic universe. “Spider-Man: Homecoming” is an excellent hybrid of the strengths of the previous two film franchises, combining the effective drama of the “Spider-Man” trilogy with the excellent action and visuals of the two “Amazing Spider-Man” films, which thankfully avoids the clashing of quality between the two styles. The film is certainly entertaining and funny, but actually shows more intelligence than many of Marvel Studios’ previous films by touching on the more controversial issue of the link between crime and the desperate situation of those less fortunate. This is accomplished by a talented cast which is carried by the charming youthful performance of Tom Holland and the intimidating charismatic performance of Michael Keaton as the Vulture, the former being a final address to Marvel’s critics who have complained about the lack of memorable villains in the company’s films. “Spider-Man: Homecoming” will certainly satisfy long-time fans of the character who have eagerly waited on a film that combines the quick-witted humor and vulnerability of the character.
2. “Wonder Woman”- It is no secret that DC has had a rough time as of late with the films in their cinematic universe in terms of critical reception, as evidenced by films such as “Batman vs Superman: Dawn of Justice” and “Suicide Squad.” However, director Patty Jenkins succeeds at bringing perhaps the most fabled superheroine to life in this enjoyable film. The film succeeds at hitting virtually every note in terms of humor, exciting action, incredible visuals and one of the most effective dramatic pieces in the history of comic book films. If one is interested in a comic book film that can finally cater to both sexes equally with its entire package, “Wonder Woman” will not disappoint.
- “Baby Driver”- Perhaps the most surprising success of amongst action films in 2017, which is also the highest on the list, would be the latest film from the primarily British comedic director, Edgar Wright (“Hot Fuzz”, “Shaun of the Dead”, and “The World’s End”). This is a film that hits all of its notes to unbelievable levels. The film’s script is sharply written, featuring interesting and memorable characters, and is equally as hysterical as it is emotional. The script’s excellence is only enhanced by perhaps one of the best casts of the year, featuring household names such as Kevin Spacey and Jamie Foxx. “Baby Driver” is a film that will appeal to a vast number of audiences with its well-handled romance between the two leads, its unbelievably exciting car chase/action scenes and its hilarious script. This film, like the other films on this list is one that would be criminal to miss.