The nerve-racking question: What will you do after graduation?

As the semester winds down, graduating seniors ponder what’s next.

By Jessica Ramsey
News Reporter

TUSCALOOSA — So what are your plans after you graduate?

Doesn’t that question kind of make your heart race or your palms get sweaty?

Many seniors in colleges across the U.S. are excited and nervous for the future. Some people have a preconceived notion that college seniors have a straight plan after school. But is that really the case?

Students like Sierra Stockley, who is a senior graduating in May, know exactly what they will be doing after college.

“I’ll be attending law school in the fall and plan to specialize in international law in hopes of eventually working with the U.S. Department of State,” Stockley said.

Even though Stockley has a plan, she does think people have certain expectations for college students.

“I definitely think there’s this expectation from others, especially family members, to have a solidified plan before graduation,” Stockley said.

Some people like Lynsey Tiller, a senior graduating in August, do not have a plan after college and feel like they picked the wrong major.

“After graduating I’m probably going to stay here in Ttown until I can find a career in communication. I kind of regret picking my major in communication because I honestly fell in love with my minor in criminal justice,” Tiller said.

Tiller also feels the pressure of her family to get a job after college.

“I think my family expects me to have a job right out of college, which would be great. But I don’t think they really understand how hard it is to get a corporate job. It’s like you have to send out 50 applications just to get one response. Luckily for me at least I have another five months to figure it out,” Tiller said.

Other students like Kayla Robinson, who is graduating in May, might have a plan but it will just take a little longer to get to.

“At first I had a plan to go to medical school right after college,” Robinson said. “But I didn’t have in mind how hard the MCAT could be. So I’m taking a couple months off to work in the hospital while I study for the MCAT after college.”

“I think the preconceived notion that everyone has after they graduate is having it all together and getting it done in a timely manner when that’s not the case,” Robinson said. “Some people take their time and that’s okay.”

Stockley agrees.

“I understand that things fall into place at different times and I think society puts so much pressure on graduates to know how to answer the question of what their plans are,” Stockley said.

“I think people, especially our families, need to just trust us and understand that we may go at a different pace or not know where we’ll be or what well become professionally. But it’ll all come together in the end. God bless your 20s,” said Tiller.