Senior Students Reflect on Their Time at The University of Alabama

The University of Alabama students express why they attended the university and what they plan to do once they graduate.

By Kyra Davis News Reporter

Meet Genuwine Farlow. She is a Theatre and Psychology double major from Berlin, Germany. 

When asked why she chose the University of Alabama over every other college/university in the country her response was:

“It was an accumulation of many things. The decision I had made was to experience college in the [USA]. After making that decision, I was slightly overwhelmed with the many options I had, especially because I was still unsure of what I wanted to major in. So, I asked my dad to help me pick five schools to apply to. He’s a big football fan. So, of course, UA was one of them.” 

She thinks the time that she has spent at the university has built her character, although she would do some things differently. She notes that it would have been much cheaper to stay in Germany for college. 

After graduation, she plans to return to Berlin.

“I think [going back to Berlin] is best for now. Also most realistic to stay alive. From there on, I’m not sure. I think about this a lot nowadays, but I have no answer yet. I see auditions, castings, lots of working and grad school in my future.” 

Farlow went home for a semester and then returned to school. She will be graduating in December 2020 instead of May 2020 like she initially planned. 

Meet Jasmine Partridge. She is a senior honor student and Criminal Justice major on the pre-law track from Fayetteville, Georgia with “aspirations to be a judge.”

“I decided to attend UA because many of my high school teachers attended [the university], and I grew up as an Alabama fan. Plus they gave me the most assistance in scholarships.” 

While at the university,  she has been a Lead Human Resource Intern for a nonprofit organization advocating for battered women. She also interned at the courthouse as a children advocate.

Due to being heavily involved, Partridge wants to take a miniature break following graduation.

“Immediately after graduation I am traveling for the month of May. However, I will be starting graduate school for the summer term back at home in Georgia. I will also be working full time with a non-profit organization.” 

She believes graduation is her “reward” for her hard work throughout the last four years. 

Partridge will graduate on May 1, 2020 at 6 p.m.

Meet Llyas (TJ) Ross, a senior News Media major and Communications minor from Tuscaloosa.

When asked why he decided to stay close to home for college his response was:

“I could be going to one of the best colleges in the country and only be 15 minutes from my house.”

He is thankful he chose to stay near home because his family is just a phone call and drive away. 

After graduation he doesn’t plan to go that far from home either, as he is furthering his education in graduate school at the university. 

“These past four years have changed me to become self-reliant on myself and not always expect help from someone for a problem. It has made me look at the world in a broader scope than what I was used to looking at the world.”

Ross will be graduating from the College of Communication on May 2 at 6 p.m.