The Comeback of a Lifetime

Super Bowl 53 was one to remember. San Francisco and Kansas City battled it out on Sunday February 2nd. Football fans across the country tuned in to see who would pull out the win.

By Nadia Isaac
Sports Reporter

The most anticipated day of the National Football League (NFL) season has finally approached us. 

Many die-hard football fans wait all year for this day to come. It is an American sports national holiday celebrated by families across the country: Super Bowl Sunday. 

Restaurants are filled with screaming fans cheering on their favorite football team while enjoying wings with friends and family. 

This year, the Kansas City Chiefs and the San Francisco 49ers faced off in Super Bowl LIV, which was held in Miami, Florida. Many celebrities were in attendance to show support for the teams.

Gregory Chisholm, who is a Kansas City native, described the atmosphere in the city on Super Bowl Sunday as full of excitement. 

“This team hasn’t seen a Super Bowl in a long time, so we are cherishing every moment of it,” he said. “I am wearing my Chiefs shirt right now and I am ready to cheer my team on.”

The Chiefs came out of the gate swinging and managed to take a commanding 10-3 lead over the 49ers. However, as the quarter progressed, the 49ers began to gain momentum and tie the game 10-10 going into halftime. 

They kept the momentum going in the 3rd quarter gaining a 20-10 lead over the Chiefs. Everything began to change as the fourth quarter approached. The Chiefs took back the momentum and went on a 21-0 run to ultimately clinch the Super Bowl win. This comeback will go down as one of the best in Super Bowl History.

“I was a little nervous in the third quarter because we weren’t playing as the team,” Chisholm said. “I’ve been watching all year, but I never gave up faith. Luckily, we were able to come back and win it in the fourth. I am very excited to celebrate this long-awaited win. Go Chiefs!” 

Quarterback Patrick Mahomes led the Chiefs to their first Super Bowl win in 50 years. He had some tough breaks throughout the game, but didn’t dwell on them. He continued to push forward. 

This mentality allowed him to become the Super Bowl 54 MVP. His leadership and drive throughout the game paid off.

“I’m truly honored to win the NFL’s Most Valuable Player award,” Mahomes said during his acceptance speech. “When you look at this award you see the rich history that it has. This season was special and there was a lot of people that helped me get to this point. This is just the beginning; we have a long way to go.”

Not only was the game one to remember, but the halftime show was also one that will go down in history. Shakira and Jennifer Lopez performed a few of their hit songs during this year’s half time show.  

Kendra Scott, who watched the game with friends and family, described the halftime show as her favorite part of the Super Bowl. “Both Shakira and JLo are iconic and their performance was outstanding. This was one of the best halftime performances of the decade