From spring break to graduation, plans are changing as students respond to coronavirus

The coronavirus is beginning to disrupt the daily lives of people worldwide.

By: Amber Boswell News Reporter

What is COVID-19? The respiratory illness, which originated in Wuhan, China, is making its way across the nation. The death rate is steadily rising as more people are being exposed to this virus.

Many consumers are currently on edge because of the coronavirus outbreak. This virus could have a major impact on shopping, travel, education and sporting events. 

Recently, the U.S. State Department issued an advisory warning against cruise travel. The warning suggested that any U.S. citizen who might have any underlying health conditions should not travel by cruise ships.

“My friends and I are going on a cruise to Mexico for spring break, and of course I am a little scared because of this sudden outbreak of coronavirus,” Auburn University student Diamond Alexander said.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention is urging individuals to practice good hand-washing techniques to prevent the spread of this illness.

“I am going to make sure that I constantly wash my hands, and I am going to encourage my friends to do the same to prevent the spread of this virus,” Alexander said.

Many products that are used on a daily basis in America are made in China. There has been a shortage of supplies such as hand sanitizer, phones and prescription drugs since the emergence of this virus. 

“I wanted to get a new phone because I cracked mine, but when I went to buy one from my cell phone carrier, they had a shortage because of the coronavirus,” UA student Alexis Ramsey said.

Other students are concerned with the possible impact this virus may have on their education.

“I am scheduled to graduate in May, and I just don’t want this virus to affect my graduation plans because I want to be able to walk across the stage,” UA student Jailyn Murrell said.