As in-person learning resumes (for some), parents, teachers and students welcome move

By Jazmen Poole
Staff Writer

BIRMINGHAM— Calvary Resurrection Christian Academy returned to in-person learning after being virtual for the past four months.

As more schools transition into virtual learning, many parents, students, and staff have been affected by no childcare, adjusting to virtual learning, and making sure children get the learning they need.  

About 58 percent of students in the United States are entirely online, while another 18 percent have received in-person instruction since last September.

The return was welcomed by some parents, including Keva Bryant a single parent who describes the pass four months as overwhelming at times. 

“In the beginning I thought it was going to be a temporary thing,” she said. “However, as the pandemic went on it went a little farther.” 

Bryant said she educated herself on computers, school deadlines, projects, and Zoom, an application increasingly used for class sessions and business meetings.

“As a whole, the experience was overbearing because I am a single parent and I do work,” she said. “It was hard for me to work, stop work, do class, turn in work, and do a lot of extra things to get him prepared for his class.” 

After the decision was made for the Academy to go back to in-person learning, Bryant couldn’t have been happier.

“I asked could he come back that same today because it is very exhausting, and my son he loves in-person as well,” she said.

As students have been affected the most during this transition, Keva Bryant’s son, Kyson Williams, added some light about his experience.

“I like virtual learning because I get to spend as much time with my mom and I still get to see my classmates and teacher on Zoom,” Kyson said.

Still, Kyson said he likes being back in school.

“I missed my friends the most and learning more in front of my teacher, so she can correct me when I’m wrong and to do a better job next time, he said.

Parents weren’t the only ones affected with transitioning from in-person to virtual. First grade teacher Sade Toyer had her own interesting experience while teaching her students in a non-traditional atmosphere.

“It has had its positive areas as well as negative areas, but in spite of it all, it’s been average; I had to readjust my thinking to the idea that this is new normalcy.”

Even though Toyer learned new approaches to teaching through virtual class, if it were left up to her she said, “I would teach strictly face-to-face.”

“I hope that we all (teachers across America) can safely go back to in-person learning,” Toyer said. “I still think we need to be precautious in the event that this virus is still in the atmosphere.” 

“I also hope that teachers, students, and parents will move further into the digital age in the future so that a transition such as this will not be so difficult or frustrating for any party.”